Finding Guides are tools that allow researchers to get an in-depth look at a collection before actually seeing the collection. Not all collections have finding guides, and not all finding guides are available on the website. Finding guides are created as collections are processed, with special attention given to the most used and requested collections. Here are our online finding guides available so far.
The Gary Lacox Forestry Collection consists of a variety of materials related to Gary Lacox’s work as a Texas forester. Most of the collection consists of books related to forestry published in years ranging from 1950 to 1990. The collection also includes an extensive leaf specimen collection created by Gary Lacox, several prints of local wildlife, and various items and memorabilia from the United States Forest Service and Texas Forest Service.
Burtis Lawrence (1892-1918) of Lufkin, Texas was a private in the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I. This collection consists of photographs and correspondence documenting his military service and death in the Stobhill Military Hospital in Glasgow, Scotland.
Donated by Barley Lenderman, this collection consists of flight schedules, articles about local plane crashes, personal history, video recordings of an Airport Operators Conference Award Ceremony and Angelina County Commissioner’s Court Meetings, and mementos from Lenderman’s thirty years as an employee and manager at Angelina County Airport. News articles are photocopies, most from The History Center’s Collection.
The Jim Ligon Collection contains photographs, publications, drawings, and reunion programs that document the history of Diboll’s African American community during the middle of the 20th century.
The Lufkin-Conroe Telephone Exchange began in 1898 and provided telephone service to the Lufkin, Conroe, and Alto areas of East Texas. This collection contains appraisals and inventories, time books and payroll records, telephone industry and organizational newsletters, bond revenue record books, correspondence, and date nails documenting company employees and business activities. It provides additional records of women workers in the telephone industry.
Donated and collected by June Moffett, the collection consists of the obituaries published in the Lufkin Daily News newspaper from 2000 to 2014. An index for each year is included.
The Lufkin Historical and Literary Club was established in 1909 by a group of Lufkin women. The club is part of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs. The items in the collection, including scrapbooks, photographs, and meeting minutes, were donated at different times by various club members from 1993 to 2018.
The Lufkin Rotary Club was chartered on January 18, 1934 by a group of Lufkin business men interested in providing social services to improve the community of Lufkin and Angelina County. This collection includes minutes, financial records, maps, publications, directories, conference materials, Rotary Ann records, correspondence, clippings, photographs, and artifacts documenting the club's service activities.
The Lufkin Youth Baseball Collection covers the years 1957-2011, with the majority of the collection covering the decades of 1990-2000 and 2000-2010. It includes governing documents, board minutes, financial statements, and memorabilia.