The city of Burke began in 1882 as a stop on the Houston East and West Texas Railroad halfway between Houston and Shreveport. The population fluctuated through the middle of the 20th century and fell following the two world wars, but by the 1960’s the community and grown enough to become an incorporated city in 1966. The City of Burke Collection covers the years 1977-2020. Materials range from City Council minutes to correspondence, to election documents and audits to legal documents describing agreements with utility companies. The bulk of the collections concerns city business with Texas Power and Light Company.