Finding Guides are tools that allow researchers to get an in-depth look at a collection before actually seeing the collection. Not all collections have finding guides, and not all finding guides are available on the website. Finding guides are created as collections are processed, with special attention given to the most used and requested collections. Here are our online finding guides available so far.
This collection consists of aerial surveys and a flight line map of East Texas and western Louisiana dating from 1993-1994 and created for Temple-Inland. Although the surveys do not label city and place names, bodies of water, railroads, oil and gas wells, pipelines, and county lines like the 1930s Edgar Tobin surveys, they provide a record of East Texas and Louisiana geography in the mid 1990s.
This collection was assembled by Temple family historian Carolyn Alevra and contains correspondence, deeds, wills, marriage records, death records, census records, books, newsletters, and notes pertaining to the Temple family and it’s ancestors and descendants. In addition to the documents and publications in this collection, Mrs. Alevra used the resources to create the Temple family wheel genealogy tool.
The Ann Temple Allen Family Photographs is a small collection of photos depicting T. L. L. Temple, Annie Waring Temple, T. L. L. Temple, Jr., Marguerite Temple Keeler, Gertrude Temple Webber Gregory, and Arthur Temple, Jr.
American Lumberman was a weekly trade journal created on January 1, 1899 from the merger of Northwestern Lumberman, established in 1873, and The Timberman, established in 1886. The magazine featured the Southern Pine Lumber Company, founded in 1894 in Diboll, Texas, in three issues: November 16, 1901; April 16, 1904; and January 18, 1908. This collection contains more than 300 gelatin silver prints made by American Lumberman photographers during visits to Diboll in 1903 and 1907, documenting the lumber company’s management, logging operations, lumber camps, sawmills, commissary, and social life.
The Mary Anna Crary Anderson Big Thicket Collection consists of clippings, the Big Thicket Association’s Petals, Pine, and Print newsletter, correspondence, Big Thicket Bulletin newspapers, pamphlets, and other newspapers documenting the activities of the Big Thicket Association primarily from 1974-1987. The collection focuses on Big Thicket expansion, conservation, environmental issues, Big Thicket history, and the early 1980s controversy over the firing of Big Thicket National Preserve museum staff.
The Angelina Chamber of Commerce was formed in 1919 as the Lufkin Chamber of Commerce and had 102 members at its founding. In 1948 its name was changed to the Angelina Chamber of Commerce to reflect its mission to promote and assist business through the entire county. From its founding and continuing through the present day, the Chamber is supported by its business community members for the purpose of advocating for and improving the business climate in the county. The approximately 90 cubic feet of materials consists of mostly paper records and some photographs. These records range from permanent files kept by office staff, board and committee minutes and their supporting documents, annual reports, financial statements, agreements and contracts with the Industrial Foundation and the Exposition Center, records of programs and events, including the Hushpuppy Championships, the Junior Livestock Show, the Youth Fair, and the Forest Festival.
The Angelina County Historic Sites Survey Collection consists of three volumes and a photograph album produced during the 1986 Historic Site Survey and National Register Multiple Resource Nomination project. The collection is a record of historically significant structures such as houses, churches, schools, and commercial buildings throughout the county.
Angelina County Medical Society Minutes Book is a 9 x 14.5 x 3 ledger book containing the minutes and meeting records of the Angelina County Medical Society. Each meeting’s record describes the proceedings, papers read, topics discussed, guests and members present, dues paid, and officers at the time.
This collection of records of the Angelina County School Superintendent's Office documents the students, teachers, school buildings, and administration of Angelina County schools from 1885-1971. Included are minute books, school census records, teacher registers, financial records, school photographs, school bonds, and student permanent record cards. The records also provide insight into the debate over state versus local control of schools.
The Charles W. Armstead Collection contains correspondence, photographs, business contracts, awards, certificates, and other personal papers related to his youth in Lufkin, Texas and his career all over the world. Many of the records pertain to Mr. Armstead’s work in South Africa in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The collection also contains government-issued IDs and award pins, including his father, Jack Armstead’s, 35-year service pin from Southern Pine Lumber Company.
This collection contains the history of Jeptha Talmage Arrington, born December 8, 1888 and died July 31, 1972, and Kate Kirby Smith Arrington, born October 16, 1893 and died January 13, 1978. Marguerite Talmage Arrington Sapp, Jeptha & Kate’s daughter collected these research materials to write an entry in the Angelina County History Book. The Arrington Family Collection consists of photographs, family history records, deed records and tax records, as well as genealogy material of the Arrington Family, Sapp Family, Smith Family, Husband Family, and Stockstill Family.
The Arrington family was a pioneer family in the Diboll and Burke areas of Angelina County, Texas. This collection consists of vintage photographs depicting members of the Arrington family; early Diboll school classes; members of prominent Diboll families such as the Massingills, Renfros, Stovalls, and Ashfords; and Diboll's Woodmen of the World members and Woodmen Circle members. The photographs show early images of individuals who later became leaders in the Southern Pine Lumber Company or Texas politics such as P. H. Strauss, E. C. Durham, Ernest Rutland, O. H. Weise, Titus Mooney, Rhoda Faye Chandler, and I. D. Fairchild.
Ed Baucum was an engineer for the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company from roughly 1907-1915, when he was murdered by fellow employee Monroe Smith over a work promotion. This collection contains photographs of Ed Baucum with Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company locomotives, newspaper articles relating to Baucum's death, and a letter from TSE general manager E. C. Durham praising Baucum for his engineering skills. All of these records are reproductions of originals.
The Berry family is a Lufkin family that once owned the locally-known Berry Dairy. This collection of materials related to the Berry family primarily consists of genealogical research and books regarding the Berry family and their ancestors. There is also a yearbook from Lufkin High School for the year 1954. Also included are magazines published or collected by members of the Berry family. Of particular note is a copy of a first edition of the first issue of True West magazine, started by Berry relative Joe Small in Austin, Texas in 1953. True West is currently the oldest continuously-published magazine about the American West in the world.
This collection of photographs documents the lives of several members of the Booker family in Diboll and Pineland, Texas during the 20th century. The main subject of the early photographs is John Olin Booker, Sr., a surveyor and engineer who worked for Southern Pine Lumber Company in Diboll, Texas before moving to Lufkin, Texas. His son, John Olin Booker, Jr. collected the photographic slides, which document his family’s vacations, the Pineland sawmills, and hunting at Scrappin’ Valley Lodge, a recreational and conference facility owned by the Temple companies. There is also a family scrapbook containing unidentified family members traveling in the United States, most notably in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
The Jesse Bradford Future Farmers of American Collection consists of photographs, scrapbooks, clippings, programs, and FFA special edition newspapers. The collection documents Jesse Bradford's leadership in agricultural education, Diboll FFA students, and their involvement in the organization and agricultural exhibitions.
John Clisby Brashears, born in 1859, was a farmer, school teacher, lumber worker, and elections official in Angelina County, Texas. consists of correspondence (1888-1945), poll lists and tally lists for Burke, TX Precinct No. 3 Angelina County (1917-1926), state and county tax receipts (1883-1928, 1946), poll tax receipts (1904-1928), school tax receipts (1920-1930), newspapers and clippings (1891-1975), bank receipts (1896-1910), and undated photographs, legal documents, envelopes, notepad, and a manuscript. The records document Brashears’ courtship with Mollie Clayton, early 20th century Burke residents, and daily life in Angelina County.
This collection consists of original negatives created by railroad photographer A. E. Brown depicting Southern Pine Lumber Company engines 13 and 20, as well as A Symphony in Steam 1959 audio recording of the Angelina and Neches River Railroad engine 110 operated by William "Mr. Jay" Morrison. Also included is a small amount of correspondence and copy prints of the negatives.
The city of Burke began in 1882 as a stop on the Houston East and West Texas Railroad halfway between Houston and Shreveport. The population fluctuated through the middle of the 20th century and fell following the two world wars, but by the 1960’s the community and grown enough to become an incorporated city in 1966. The City of Burke Collection covers the years 1977-2020. Materials range from City Council minutes to correspondence, to election documents and audits to legal documents describing agreements with utility companies. The bulk of the collections concerns city business with Texas Power and Light Company.
Temple Industries trucker Jesse Carr was nominated for the Hobbs Knight of the Road Award in 1958. The Hobbs Knight of the Road award was annually awarded to an unlimited number of truck drivers who had performed an exceptional act of courtesy and was subsequently nominated by a Texas Department of Public Safety officer. This collection contains correspondence, clippings, photographs, a plaque, certificates, and other items pertaining to Carr's receipt of the award.
The Patsy Colbert collection contains information of Diboll Day planning notes for fundraising and arts & craft vendor fair. Research information collected during her work at The History Center and Boys & Girls Club Advisory Committee minutes, fundraising event information, and planning notes.
The Family Affair Club was a predominantly African American club in Diboll, Texas. This collection consists of a public hearing transcript, correspondence, and exhibits documenting the Concerned Citizens of Diboll’s effort, led by Baptist minister Larry Weaver, to prevent the club from obtaining a special use permit to legally operate and sell alcoholic beverages.
Gayle Cruthirds grew up in Diboll, Texas, and later became a sergeant of the 376th Heavy Bomb Group, 15th Air Force. This collection consists of photographs, magazines, newspapers, medals, a flight log, and correspondence documenting Cruthirds’ life interests, school days, and service in World War II.
The J. Shirley Daniel Photograph Collection consists of 4x5 vintage prints, contact prints, and original negatives depicting Diboll's and Pineland's manufacturing industries, employees, community, and social life. J. Shirley Daniel was Southern Pine Lumber Company’s official photographer, owner and operator of the Timberland Theater and "Tonk," and an independent pulpwood contractor.
Marie Davis was a member of the Diboll Historical Society and Angelina County Historical Commission. She played an integral role in conducting interviews for the oral history-based Cornbread Whistle book (1986), and led efforts in the designation of numerous markers in Angelina County. This collection consists of research notes, clippings, and publications compiled by Davis documenting Angelina County history with emphasis on the Diboll region.
Frank Devereaux served as a togglier on a B-25 Mitchell bomber in the 380th Bomb Squadron (M), 301th Bomb Group (M) based in Italy. This collection contains digital copies of Devereaux's flight log and photographs documenting his missions over Brenner Pass, northern Italy, and southern Austria from December 1944 to March 1945.
The Dial Family Collection contains photographs relating to John Dial including Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company train accidents; TSE engines 5, 9, 10, and 13; Diboll students and teachers; and Temple Manufacturing Company employees. Also included is a photograph of Victoria, Fisher and Western Railroad Company engine 6. The bulk of the collection is correspondence, insurance papers, and land documents of Levy W. Stovall. These letters document Stovall's management and accounts at the Southern Pine Lumber Company logging camp Alcedo, as well as personal relationships and business.
The Diboll Booster Club Collection contains 2 ft³of records collected by 4 club officers. These records contain information, correspondence, reports, By-Laws, and records from groups who received financial support from the Booster Club, most notably the Katherine Sage Temple Day Care Center.
An artificial collection created from multiple accessions over 20 years, the Diboll Day Collection is 13ft³ of artifacts, official records, photographs, signs, fliers, handouts, tickets, video, and memorabilia documenting Diboll Day from its beginning in 1953 to the present day. This is a growing collection and the finding guide will be updated annually to reflect new additions.
The Diboll Garden Club Collection contains program booklets, minutes, correspondence, membership lists, budget reports and scrapbooks from 1960 to 2015 which were donated in six different accessions.
The Diboll Parent Teacher Student Association began as a Mother’s Club in the early 1930’s and evolved through the years to include parents, teachers, students, and community members. Through its history it has provided scholarships for students, paid for students’ and teachers’ needs, promoted school beautification and drug free lifestyles, and documented life at Diboll’s schools. This collection primarily covers the 1990’s, although some earlier and later items are included.
The Diboll Pilot Club Collection is comprised of administrative documents, yearbooks, correspondence, events and calendars, financial statements, charity reports, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks and correspondence pertaining to Sarah Larson who was once President of the Diboll Pilot Club from 1971-1972 and then promoted to Governor of District-8 with Pilot International. At the state level, the collection is comprised of administrative documents, convention and workshop documents while at the National level directories, and publications have been gathered. The collection also contains various blank or sample forms, mementos, newsletters, and other area club information. Scrapbooks and awards pertaining to Sarah Larson comprise approximately one-quarter of the collection.
The Rotary Club of Diboll was a community service organization serving Diboll, Texas, chartered in 1972 and disbanded in 2005. This collection contains correspondence, photographs, notes, pamphlets, newsletters, financial records, membership directories, awards, and clippings documenting the clubs many activities, programs, and meetings.
Diboll Independent School District formed in 1952 out of the county school system of Angelina County, although there had been a school for Diboll’s children since the late 1890s. Following creation of the independent district, the schools grew and were remodeled, with new buildings added as population growth and other factors required it. During the late 1960’s Diboll began racially integrating its schools, starting with sports at the high school, followed by the other grades. Diboll’s schools have always served as a center for community life and a focus for community pride, as many of these photographs show. The bulk of the collection consists of photographs taken at Diboll High School during the 1960s, mostly circa 1968, although there are photos of elementary school students and events through the 2000s. The collection also contains 1970’s football programs and scrapbooks from the 1970’s and 1980’s, as well as newspaper clippings.
A photograph album of unknown relationship to Diboll United Pentecostal Church, where it was found underneath a trap door in the sound booth.
Collected by Gary Mike Smith, the Diboll Youth Baseball Collection contains team rosters and schedules from 1996-2006. Mr. Smith was active in the Diboll Little League program for over 40 years as a coach, umpire, commissioner, vice-president and president of the organization. He also served as the state president of the Dixie League Baseball Association and currently, in 2015, serves as a National Director on the Dixie Youth Baseball Organization.
This collection consists of records relating to the long career of Charles Donahoe as an industrial engineer and blueprint reading instructor at Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company during the mid to late 20th century. These records were kept by Mr. Donahoe and give insight to some of the day-to-day workings of the company. Records include reports on machine functioning, gear plans and blueprints, memos, and various publications related to equipment manufactured or used by Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company.
Donated by the creator, Richard Donovan, this collection records his efforts to preserve the Neches River and the forests of East Texas. It includes correspondence with fellow conservationists, media, elected officials, and concerned citizens, speeches he has given across the state, awards he has received for his conservation efforts, and articles he has written for area, state, and national publications. The collection also documents his 1999 Neches River canoe trip and the book that followed that trip, entitled Paddling the Wild Neches. This series includes correspondence with editors, publishers, reviewers, and readers, drafts, publication paperwork, and photographs. The majority of the collection consists of published articles.
The Rockland Photograph Collection, assembled by Lola Dubose during her research, consists of digital scans of original photographs and a tintype which document Rockland, Texas and the Aldridge area during the late 19th century to the mid 20th century. Included are images of Neches River ferries, the Aldridge pontoon river crossing, rock quarry scenes from Kyle's Quarry (The Blue Hole) and others, Rockland railroad scenes, lumberman Hal Aldridge's Rockland home, lumbermen, and members of the Ard family.
The Hawkins Dunlap collection primarily concerns the Dr. Jesse Wise Hawkins, Angelina County physician and World War I veteran, and his grandson Lynn Hawkins Dunlap, editor of the Lufkin Daily News. The collection contains genealogical information, photographs, news articles, awards, framed items, and plaques from the years 1914-1977.
The Durham family has long been associated with Diboll, Texas, particularly in the lumber industry and the Diboll Free Press. The Durham Family Collection primarily consists of photographs focusing on Paul Durham, Jr. and wife Jimmie Beth Durham during their years at Diboll High School, their high school friends, Paul Jr.'s career at the Diboll Free Press, the Diboll Housing Authority construction projects, and numerous members of the Diboll community.
Jake Durham was the personnel manager for the Southern Pine Lumber Company before becoming public relations director throughout the 1930s and 1940s. The Jake Durham Papers consist of correspondence, accident reports, minutes, job applications, compensation cost reports, and pamphlets documenting occupational safety and public relations of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and the East Texas lumber industry.
Paul Durham was editor of the Diboll Free Press, previously called the Diboll News Bulletin and then the Angelina County Free Press, from 1952-1990. This collection contains correspondence, notes, candidate biographies, press releases, newspaper articles, and photographs relating to Texas and United States political campaigns during the 1960s and early 1970s. It also consists of various publications, some relating to East Texas schools or the lumber industry.
Edgar Tobin Aerial Surveys is an aerial survey and mapping company based in San Antonio, Texas. The Edgar Tobin Aerial Survey Collection depicts the East Texas landscape during the 1930s, including the locations of oil and gas wells, cities, towns, railroad lines, canals, rivers, creeks, pipelines, railroad logging spurs, and logging scars. The surveys also show towns and settlements no longer in existence (mostly connected to the lumber industry), railroad lines that have been abandoned, and how East Texas appeared prior to most modern highways and the creation of Lake Sam Rayburn.
Elodie Miles Edwards (1905-2000) was a school teacher in Diboll, Texas from 1926-1931. This collection consists of photographs, literary works, clippings, and correspondence documenting her career as a teacher in 1920s Diboll, Diboll students, community and social life, as well as her other interests such as Christianity.
The Irv Engelbrecht Railroad Lease Papers consists of general lease agreements, standard industrial track agreements, standard industrial ground leases, transfer contracts, and related maps and correspondence. The leases are between the Southern Pacific owned St. Louis Southwestern Railway, Texas and New Orleans Railroad, or the Houston, East and West Texas Railway and various Lufkin businesses for use of property along the right of way. The collection provides a record of many Lufkin businesses no longer in existence along with their location.
This collection contains correspondence, letters, cards, tax records, bank statements, legal documents, and photographs ranging in date from the 1890s to the 1960s. Most of the correspondence is addressed to Esther Pennington Ramsey from her husband, friends, family, and children.
This collection contains a photograph album and scrapbook containing approximately 232 pictures of the Farrington family, the Mann family, and scenes documenting early Diboll social life. The records center on Fannie Farrington, a Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary worker who was also involved in numerous church groups, missions, and social programs that helped improved Diboll's moral atmosphere. Her husband Frank Farrington worked in the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary from 1904-1908 and later served as Diboll's postmaster from 1908-1925.
Mallory Hope Ferrell's Moscow, Camden and San Augustine Railroad Photographs is a small collection of reproduced prints depicting the railroad’s engines 1, 3, 5, 6, 14 and the Moscow and Camden railroad stations from 1956-1960.
The First Shiloh Baptist Church 100th Anniversary Collection contains the photographs and identifications and advertisements assembled for the church’s 100th anniversary publication.
First United Methodist Church of Diboll began in 1897 and has served the spiritual needs of Diboll’s citizens from that year to the present day. This collection includes official church documents, photographs, scrapbooks, minutes, and historical research collected for the installation of a Texas Historical Marker.
Diboll High School Class of 1927 graduate Gladys George Giddings collected family correspondence and newspapers throughout her life, but the bulk of her collection made up a scrapbook containing memorabilia from her high days, mainly her graduation year.
The Bill Goodrum Forestry Collection was created by Bill Goodrum during his tenure managing Temple-Inland’s forests, first as a wildlife biologist and then Manager of Forest Environmental Issues. The collection contains subject files, correspondence, administrative files, publications, and audiovisual media and includes documents pertaining to forest management, wildlife management, environmental concerns, and compliance with industry initiatives in regards to environmental controls and protection.
Gerald A. Goodwin was an Angelina County District Attorney for 15 years and served as District Judge of the 159th Judicial District of Angelina County for 10 years. After retiring, he spent another 13 years as a Senior District Judge. This collection contains many of the records collected by Mr. Goodwin during his career as both a District Attorney and District Judge in Angelina County. It also includes some records from his college and law school years, his years as an assistant district attorney in Harris County, his time in private practice, and his years as a Senior District Judge. The collection has materials dating from the 1970s until 2019. The collection includes professional and personal correspondence, case notes and court dockets, appeals, and other documents related to his work as an attorney and judge. Of particular note is the extensive collection of correspondence sent by residents of the Texas Department of Corrections to Mr. Goodwin. In 2019, materials related to the dedication at his memorial in December 2019 were added to the collection.
Ruth Grant's Homer Research Collection consists of research materials compiled in an attempt to write a book on the city of Homer, Texas, Angelina County's 3rd county seat. The collection documents Homer's founding and beginning as county seat in 1858, accounts of the Civil War in Homer, genealogical information on Homer’s prominent families, churches, land ownership records, post offices, schools, cemeteries, and modern correspondence with descendants of Homer settlers. Also highlighted is the Scroggins and Borden family feud focused on Robert P. Scroggins and Ben W. Borden.
The Bettye Greer Collection is comprised of scrapbooks, textiles, correspondence, and other records relating to Bettye Greer and her husband, Bill Greer’s, years working at Diboll High School. The scrapbooks in the collection cover the years 1967 to 1983 and are primarily composed of newspaper clippings related to Diboll High School sports, agriculture program, band, and other notable events related to the school. Of particular note are articles about dress code, race relations, and the first female students in Angelina County to join the agriculture program. Additionally, the collection contains correspondence, school brochures, a sample diploma, football megaphones, and parts of a Diboll High School marching band uniform.
The Gulf Coast Lumberman Photograph Collection consists of photographs and negatives depicting a promotional and public relations theme of the Temple Lumber Company, Texas Lumber Manufacturers’ Association, and related organizations and interests. Included are images of Arthur Temple, Jr., L. D. Gilbert, Latané Temple, and Clyde Thompson and other notable individuals involved with the East Texas lumber business. The bulk of the photographs were created by Gulf Coast Lumberman for issues in 1953, 1954, and 1960.
This collection consists of a Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway employee time table providing a schedule of freight and passenger trains throughout the railway’s Gulf Division in East Texas. The time table also provides special rules and regulations for the Gulf Division, state laws governing railroad employees, the names of company surgeons of the G. C. & S. F. Hospital Association and company watch inspectors, and a map of all Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway lines.
Related Online Collections
Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Time Table, 1939
This Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway employee time table provides a schedule of freight and passenger trains throughout the railway's Gulf Division in East Texas. The time table also provides special rules and regulations for the Gulf Division, state laws governing railroad employees, the names of company surgeons of the G. C. & S. F. Hospital Association and company watch inspectors, and a map of all Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway lines.
This collection of National Geographic magazines, stamp albums, Texas Power and Light Company newsletters, and other material was created by Don C. Hall throughout his life, particularly during the 1950s and 1960s. His neighbor donated these materials after Mr. Hall passed away in 2015.
This collection comprises some 46.4 cubic feet of correspondence, political campaign materials, souvenir photographs, scrapbooks of news clippings, books, and awards and memorabilia. The bulk of the material relates to specific times in the life of John Hannah Jr., documenting his career as Texas State Representative, 1966-1972, District Attorney, 1972-1977, United States Attorney, Eastern District of Texas, 1977-1981, his unsuccessful campaign for election as Attorney General for the state of Texas, 1982, his years as Secretary of State for Texas, 1991-1994, as United States District judge, 1994-2001, and as Chief Judge, United States Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2001 until his death. In terms of bulk, the largest groups of material are the awards and memorabilia, the book collection, and the scrapbooks.
The Houston East and West Texas Railway Company Director’s Record, 1889-1891, contains 1 volume (48 pages of information) of minutes and associated information concerning the Houston East and West Texas Railway Company’s bankruptcy and the directors’ actions during that time.
The Houston, East & West Texas Railway Company was chartered on March 11, 1875, to build a narrow gauge railroad between Houston and Texarkana and to connect Houston with Corpus Christi and Laredo through Victoria and Goliad. At the state boundary the 191-mile HE&WT connected with the affiliated forty-mile Shreveport and Houston Railway Company, and the two railroads formed a through line between Houston and Shreveport, Louisiana. This collection consists of a single payroll volume documenting wages paid to railroad employees and attorneys of the Houston East & West Texas Railway and the Houston & Shreveport Railroad Company for January 1921.
The Houston Oil Company of Texas Recruise Timberlands Volumes document the determination of the gross and net product volume and value (timber quality) for timber tracts owned by Houston Oil Company of Texas during the 1910s. These volumes depict timber tracts in Texas counties: Angelina, Jasper, Jefferson, Hardin, Liberty, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Sabine, San Augustine, and Tyler; and Louisiana’s Calcasieu Parish. The information includes acreage, soil description, topography, pine production, merchantable pine statistics such as total feet and tree measurements, statistics for hardwoods such as ties and feet values, and hand drawn maps depicting the layout of the virgin pine forests.
The Humason Family Collection covers the approximate years 1890-1945, with the majority of the collection covering the decades of 1900-1930. It includes photographs, correspondence, newspapers, newspaper clippings, four scrapbooks, and miscellaneous memorabilia.
This collection contains photographs and family genealogical information about the Albert “Buster” Jackson family, including Diboll High School graduating class of 1925, newspaper articles, and baseball dating from approximately 1925-1931.
This collection consists of photographs and other records related to the life of Diboll native Mildred Griffith Kitchens. Born in 1920 to John C. Griffith and Georgia White Griffith, Mrs. Kitchens graduated from Lufkin High School in 1937 before attended Texas State College for Women (now Texas Woman’s University), where she graduated in 1940. She married Frank Kitchens in 1942. The photographs and records in this collection showcase her life, including the celebration of her 100th birthday in July 2020.
The Gary Lacox Forestry Collection consists of a variety of materials related to Gary Lacox’s work as a Texas forester. Most of the collection consists of books related to forestry published in years ranging from 1950 to 1990. The collection also includes an extensive leaf specimen collection created by Gary Lacox, several prints of local wildlife, and various items and memorabilia from the United States Forest Service and Texas Forest Service.
Burtis Lawrence (1892-1918) of Lufkin, Texas was a private in the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I. This collection consists of photographs and correspondence documenting his military service and death in the Stobhill Military Hospital in Glasgow, Scotland.
Musician Chuck Leavell and his wife, Rose Lane Leavell, became owners of a large tree farm after Rose inherited the plantation from her grandmother in 1982. In 2000, the Leavells visited Temple-Inland and several of the forests that the company managed. During this trip, photos were taken of the couple and of logging occurring at the locations during their visit. This collection consists of photographs of Chuck and Rose Lane Leavell and photographs of logging operations in an unknown location. There are also several film negatives in this collection.
Donated by Barley Lenderman, this collection consists of flight schedules, articles about local plane crashes, personal history, video recordings of an Airport Operators Conference Award Ceremony and Angelina County Commissioner’s Court Meetings, and mementos from Lenderman’s thirty years as an employee and manager at Angelina County Airport. News articles are photocopies, most from The History Center’s Collection.
The Jim Ligon Collection contains photographs, publications, drawings, and reunion programs that document the history of Diboll’s African American community during the middle of the 20th century.
This collection consists of artifacts and papers related to the career of Marc Lishewski as Temple-Inland’s national account manager from 1995 until the sale of the company to Georgia-Pacific, where he continued in his role until 2020. Materials include lumber advertisements, sales videos, brochures, small artifacts, and a history of Southern Pine Lumber Company.
The Lufkin-Conroe Telephone Exchange began in 1898 and provided telephone service to the Lufkin, Conroe, and Alto areas of East Texas. This collection contains appraisals and inventories, time books and payroll records, telephone industry and organizational newsletters, bond revenue record books, correspondence, and date nails documenting company employees and business activities. It provides additional records of women workers in the telephone industry.
Donated and collected by June Moffett, the collection consists of the obituaries published in the Lufkin Daily News newspaper from 2000 to 2014. An index for each year is included.
The Lufkin Historical and Literary Club was established in 1909 by a group of Lufkin women. The club is part of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs. The items in the collection, including scrapbooks, photographs, and meeting minutes, were donated at different times by various club members from 1993 to 2018.
Prior to writing Sawdust to Oil, the history of Lufkin Industries, Elaine Jackson conducted ca. 96 interviews with current and former employees in 1981. This collection consists of the cassette tapes and original transcripts of those interviews.
The Lufkin Rotary Club was chartered on January 18, 1934 by a group of Lufkin business men interested in providing social services to improve the community of Lufkin and Angelina County. This collection includes minutes, financial records, maps, publications, directories, conference materials, Rotary Ann records, correspondence, clippings, photographs, and artifacts documenting the club's service activities.
The Lufkin Youth Baseball Collection covers the years 1957-2011, with the majority of the collection covering the decades of 1990-2000 and 2000-2010. It includes governing documents, board minutes, financial statements, and memorabilia.
The Magcobar Photograph Collection consists of photographs and records relating to the Donovan family and the Magcobar clay plant in Zavalla, Texas. The photographs depict Allen T. Donovan, Bonnie Donovan, Richard Donovan, Vina Donovan, and Eva Berry Farley working at the plant or posing near digging equipment or clay pits. The non-pictorial materials document Zavalla plant history and other Magcobar facilities in Texas, Louisiana, and Canada.
The Ralph Magill collection contains 37 photographs of his business Cash Drug #3, Diboll Lumberjack sports, and other events in Diboll.
Dr. D. A. Mann was a doctor in Diboll, Texas from roughly 1906-1917. This collection contains Mann family photographs focusing on D. A. Mann, his wife Alma Sturrock Mann, and children Bertha, Eunice, Eddith, and Mary.
Elizabeth Plummer Carter is the granddaughter of Southern Pine Lumber Company physician, Dr. David Aden Mann. Her mother, Bertha Mann Plummer, was a well-educated society woman and her father was a river pilot from Port Arthur, Texas named Captain Carlyle J. Plummer. Elizabeth attended Baylor University until 1945. She married William Lloyd Carter and moved to Tennessee where she remained until her death. This collection is comprised of both her and her mother’s college scrapbooks, photographs of the Mann and Plummer families, newspapers, and personal writings for the early half of the twentieth century.
Ina Eret McCall, daughter of Daniel Bynum McCall, served as postmistress of Burke from September 21, 1914 to August 31, 1955. This collection consists of a scrapbook compiled and gifted to McCall by Nobie Cambell, containing letters concerning her retirement and career as postmistress and her impact on Burke, Texas.
This collection consists of various records pertaining to the family of Melissa McCall. The bulk of the records relate to her great-grandparents, Augusta Caesar and Sara Divine “Viney” Massey Allen and their children. Also included are records from when Melissa was in high school in the 1970s. Of particular note are Sara Allen’s World War II Red Cross cap and time card, August Allen’s World War II draft card and ration books, and Nat Allen’s V-Mail from World War II.
Dr. Archie P. McDonald is a professor of history and community liaison at Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, Texas. In the early 1950s he began collecting political campaign materials. This collection includes posters, bumper stickers, pins, ties, t-shirts, brochures, buttons, mugs, and other materials from presidential, congressional, state, and local campaigns from circa 1952-2002.
Materials in this collection are a result of over one hundred years of lumber company interest in the timberlands of East Texas. RMS purchased remnants of large company lands in mostly Polk, Tyler, and Trinity counties in 2006 after years of real estate timberland consolidation and breakup. These lands were the last vestiges of two large corporations – Champion Paper and Fibre Company and Southland Paper Mills. As both of these companies acquired land, they created survey departments to ensure the integrity of their boundaries and kept the records for future use. This collection contains survey field books, monument books, and chain books, as well as survey records, indeed files, boundary and road easement files, and General Land Office maps and files. There is a series of files relating to land purchases by the W.T. Carter Company. Survey index cards and corner cards help tie together the field books, surveys, and maps. Index map books contain references to surveyed lands and refer to field book pages. The extensive collection of rolled maps is unprocessed as of July 2021 but an archivist can provide access.
Robert E. Minton was an Angelina County lawyer and general counsel for the Southern Pine Lumber Company of Diboll, Texas, later called Temple Industries. This collection contains legal case files concerning East Texas timber rights and land ownership involving Temple Lumber Company, Southern Pine Lumber Company, Houston Oil Company, Knox Lumber Company, Kirby Lumber Company, and others.
The bulk of this collection contains Owens-Illinois records Mr. Monk collected during Temple Inland’s acquisition of over 250 thousand acres of Owens Illinois timberlands in Louisiana in 1986. These ownership maps, statements, reports and summaries pre-date the acquisition. Mr. Monk and his colleagues used these records during the acquisition period and after as records of ownership and forest management.
William Jackson Morrison, better known as "Mr. Jay," was an engineer for the Moscow, Camden and San Augustine Railroad and the Angelina and Neches River Railroad, and was a lifelong railroad enthusiast. This collection of photographs depicts several East Texas railroads associated with the lumber industry, most notably the Moscow, Camden and San Augustine Railroad, the Angelina and Neches River Railroad, the Texas South-Eastern Railroad, and the Texas State Railroad among others.
Georgie Temple Munz was the last surviving child of Southern Pine Lumber Company founder Thomas L. L. Temple, and the person who created the T. L. L. Temple Foundation. This collection consists of photographs, correspondence, financial records, blueprints, and maps that provides insight into Mrs. Munz's life, her daughters Mary and Martha, Christian Science, and the Temple family.
Born on August 4, 1923, Mary Munz was the daughter of Georgie Temple and Harry Munz, and granddaughter of T. L. L. Temple. This collection contains a variety of personal items of Munz and the Temple family, as well as records relating to Munz's care.
Russell Tedder, the first full time general manager of the Sabine River and Northern Railroad from 1969-1976, collected various records of southern short-line railroads for personal research and interest. The Nacogdoches and Southeastern Railroad Company was chartered in 1905 to serve logging operations of the Hayward Lumber Company, and later the Frost-Johnson Lumber Company after 1910. This collection consists of reports and correspondence encompassing a brief and incomplete snapshot of the company's dealings with the Interstate Commerce Commission, and the volume of forest products shipped along its rails in its cars during these years. Several photocopied secondary sources are also included.
Edwin Nelson grew up in Diboll, Texas and worked at the Temple-White Company handle factory. His collection consists of clippings, writings, reminiscences, publications, and artifacts that he created, collected, and compiled which document Diboll and Angelina County’s history, concentrating on community and industry.
The Nineteenth Century Land Documents show a history of land ownership pertaining to lands once owned by Temple-Inland in East Texas and Georgia. Included are a State of Texas Land Patent signed by Sam Houston, an 1846 Republic of Texas Land Grant signed by Anson Jones, a series of documents (mostly in Spanish) regarding the transfer of the Candido Sanchez League in Trinity County, Texas (1835), and 1846 Georgia Land Grants signed by the Georgia governor George W. Crawford.
This collection consists of 30 Diboll High School Yearbooks (1944-1967) collected by Wilbur F. Pate and one school assignment completed in January 1942. Mr. Pate collected the yearbooks during his long tenure as Diboll High School principal and Diboll Superintendent. The Geography paper entitled “Manufacturing Lumber in Diboll, TX” was a product of his studies to complete a master’s degree at Stephen F. Austin State Teacher’s College. The paper included 24 photographs of Diboll in the winter of 1941-1942.
The Sue Perkins Collection consists of over 10,000 photographs documenting Diboll Independent School district activities, especially high school sports, clubs, organizations, and award ceremonies from 1988 to 2002. Photographs were created and used for the annual yearbooks during these years.
The C. A. "Neal" Pickett Papers consist of correspondence, photographs, speeches, reports, clippings, newsletters, and other papers documenting his tenure as mayor of Houston and involvement in the American Red Cross, Boy Scouts of America, Federal Housing Administration in Houston, Rotary, Methodist Church, and Deep East Texas Development Council.
The Pine Tree Garden Club Collection contains program booklets, minutes, correspondence, membership lists, budget reports and scrapbooks from 1978 to 2017 which were donated in two different accessions.
The Planned Parenthood of Southeast Texas Collection contains 5 cubic feet of memorabilia, plaques, photo albums, reports, newspaper articles, and awards covering the years 1976 to 2011. The Lufkin clinic operated under several different names from 1973 to 2013.
The Henry Procella Collection contains lumber grading books, Southern Pine Lumber Company employee memos and sales information, correspondence, and newspapers all belonging or pertaining to longtime company employee, Henry Procella. Most of the materials related to his work at Southern Pine Lumber Company include an actuary, grading books, correspondence, and company memos from the 1910s to the 1950s. The rest of collection is composed of newspapers and magazine related to Henry Procella’s life at home, at Southern Pine Lumber Company, and in the Army during World War II.