Research

We are in the process of digitizing many of our collections and have decided to make some of them available to view and download online. Please check back often as we add to the online collection of digital resources.

Collections » Angelina County School Records

Angelina County School Photographs, 1930's

These photographs, mostly taken during the 1930's, show the buildings and grounds of many of Angelina County's schools that would soon be consolidated. They are from our Angelina County School Superintendent's Records, 2004:022. A file containing maps that show school district boundaries in 1924 and 2010 is provided here to help users locate schools and areas of interest.


Moffett School Number 24

Moffett School Number 24

Common School District #24 included the earlier schools of Berry, Gravely Ridge and Platt. About 1920, trustees moved the school to a new location, building a new brick building and moving one of the original buildings to the new location. Moffett was classified as a one year high school in 1919 and a two year high school in 1930. In the early 1930’s, a large gymnasium that contained a cannery, a shop and a bed making class, was added. In 1935, six new classrooms were added. In 1937, the trustees voted to make this school a nine grade school. Tenth and eleventh grades students would transfer to Lufkin.

Oak Flat School Number 47

Oak Flat School Number 47

This school was organized in 1885 and was classified as one year high school in both 1919 and 1930. In 1939 it was consolidated with the Huntington Rural High School District.

Odell School Number 17

Odell School Number 17

This school was established in 1885 in the community’s Baptist church building and involved the transfer of students from Robb’s Ranch School. The school moved several times during its history. In 1919 Odell was classified as one year high school and by 1930 it was a two year high school. Following a school building fire caused by wood heaters, Odell consolidated with Huntington in 1939.

Olive School Number 39

Olive School Number 39

Olive was classified as an elementary school in 1919 and 1930, and consolidated with Beulah in 1937.

Ora School Number 10

Ora School Number 10

Classified as a one year high school in 1919 and a two year high school in 1930, Ora consolidated with Huntington in 1944. During County School Superintendent Howard Walker’s inspection visit in January 1927, he noted Ora’s “teachers seemed not to be interested in school as they should be.”

Pine Valley School Number 35

Pine Valley School Number 35

This school was organized in 1906 when enrollment at Ryan Chapel School had outgrown its facilities and the school was divided. Classes were held at the Pine Valley church until a new school building for grades one through seven was erected in 1919. Pine Valley students transferred to Diboll in about 1947.

Prairie Grove School Number 52

Prairie Grove School Number 52

This school began in the 1880’s using a community church building until 1921, when the county acquired land and built a new two-room schoolhouse. Records show Prairie Grove was classified as an elementary school in 1930 and disbanded and consolidated with Diboll in 1948.

Redland School Number 25

Redland School Number 25

Redland School was known earlier as Liberty School, which was organized by 1885. By 1924, Redland had consistently replaced the word Liberty in official records. Brick construction of the school buildings began about 1914, with additions constructed in later years as needed. Redland was classified as a two year high school in 1919 and as a three year high school in 1930. Redland consolidated with Lufkin in 1970, the last independent school district to merge with another independent district in Angelina County.

Retrieve School Number 13

Retrieve School Number 13

Retrieve, also known as Shawnee Switch, was a sawmill and railroad community just southeast of Huntington beginning in the early 1900’s. Records show that Retrieve’s higher grade students consolidated with Huntington High School in 1926, so Huntington could obtain state accreditation.  By 1939 all of Retrieve had consolidated with the Huntington district.

Rocky Hill School Number 19

Rocky Hill School Number 19

Rocky Hill was included in the 1885 School Registry. Rocky Hill was classified as an elementary school in 1919, but by 1930 it was considered to be a three year high school, when it absorbed students from Alco.

Salem School Number 14

Salem School Number 14

Salem’s exact beginning date is unknown, but county school records from 1919 and 1930 indicate it was classified at those times as a one year high school. In 1939 Salem consolidated with Huntington Rural High School District.

Saron School Number 8

Saron School Number 8

Saron was classified as a one year high school in 1919. In September 1943, the county school board could not acquire qualified teachers for this school, so they closed it.

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >