The History Center publishes The Pine Bough, a popular annual East Texas history magazine featuring our growing archival collections.
The Pine Bough - Vol 15, December 2010
This issue of the Pine Bough focuses on the history of the Angelina County Common Schools, from the late nineteenth century through the early 1960s. The feature article explores the issues of state versus local control, consolidating rural districts, and the creation of independent districts and also examines records concerning African-American education. Another article features many photographs of county schools from the early 1930s and the role Howard Walker played in preserving the county’s education records and history. School district maps and classification lists are also included. Additionally, the news and notices section shares about The History Center’s exciting year of events and activities.
TABLE OF CONTENTS: December 2010
Angelina County Schools : Preserving the Heart of a Community, by Emily Hyatt
Map of Angelina County School Districts, 1924
Howard Walker : Angelina County Educator and Historical Preservationist, by Emily Hyatt and Patsy Colbert
Angelina County School Photographs, 1930s
School Classification Lists, 1885 - 1961
News & Notices