Research

We are in the process of digitizing many of our collections and have decided to make some of them available to view and download online. Please check back often as we add to the online collection of digital resources.

Collections » Railroad Records and Collections

Springer, Fred M., Collection of East Texas Railroad Photographs

Fred M. Springer was an engineer for Mobil Pipe Line Company and a lifelong railroad and photography enthusiast. This collection consists of 53 8x10 black and white prints created from Springer's original negatives, showing steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, and freight cars of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, as well as railroad stations in Diboll, Burke, and Palestine.


Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 28, 1963

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 28, 1963

A photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 28, 1963. Engine 28 was an 83-ton Baldwin 2-8-0 steam locomotive. It was built originally for the U.S. Army in 1917, serving in and around Fort Polk, Louisiana. The Tremont & Gulf Railroad purchased the General Pershing class engine from the Army in the 1940s. selling it in 1955 to Temple Lumber Company, which used it to serve their Pineland mill until the early 1960s. Temple Industries donated Engine 28 to the Texas State Railroad in 1972. The engine was not restored until 1995 when it was painted black and red and renumbered 300.  

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 28, 1963

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 28, 1963

An up close photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 28, 1963. Engine 28 was an 83-ton Baldwin 2-8-0 steam locomotive. It was built originally for the U.S. Army in 1917, serving in and around Fort Polk, Louisiana.

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 1140, 1963

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 1140, 1963

A photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 1140, 1963 in a dilapidated state.  It was a Baldwin 2-6-2 steam locomotive built in 1903, construction number 21521. Southern Pine bought it from the Santa Fe Railroad to assist logging around Pineland. The Engine was sold in 1989 and is now on display in Doyline, Louisiana, owned by the Red River Valley Railroad Historical Society.

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 1007, 1963

Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 1007, 1963

A photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company Engine 1007 in 1963. Engine 1007 was a 120 ton Baldwin VO-1000 built in 1944. The Texas South Eastern Railroad purchased the engine from the St. Louis Southwestern Railway (Cotton Belt) in March earlier that year for $10,000, repainting it white, light yellow, and forest green and in Southern Pine Lumber Company livery. It first served Southern pine Lumber Company's Pineland mills, then returned to Diboll a few years later where it regularly operated until early 2006, when it was replaced by Texas South Eastern Railroad's 2005-acquired 1966 EMD SW-1500 Engine 937.

Texas South Eastern Railroad Engine 22, 1963

Texas South Eastern Railroad Engine 22, 1963

A photograph of Texas South Eastern Railroad Engine 22 in 1963 coupled with TSE Caboose 4 and a Santa Fe Freight car. Engine 22 is a 79-ton General Electric diesel locomotive built in 1956 and purchased new. It was initially used to pull the Diboll log train and by night to operate the Lufkin train. It was then placed in service over the rails of the Texas State Railroad, during TSE's lease of the 33-mile line between Rusk and Palestine between November 1, 1962 and December 31, 1969. TSE donated Engine 22 to the Texas State Railroad in September 1996.

Palestine Depot with Texas South Eastern Train, 1963

Palestine Depot with Texas South Eastern Train, 1963

A photograph of the Palestine railroad station in 1963, also showing the Texas South Eastern Railroad Engine 22 coupled with TSE Caboose 4 and a Santa Fe freight car.

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5