Research

We are in the process of digitizing many of our collections and have decided to make some of them available to view and download online. Please check back often as we add to the online collection of digital resources.

Collections » Daniel, J. Shirley Photograph Collection

Binder 7 - Diboll community life, stores, schools, churches, housing, parks, clubs, and utilties

Photos in this binder primarily document community life in the 1940s-1960s, including The Village Shopping center, new retail stores, schools, churches, street and utility development, social and service clubs, housing developments, hotels, the Diboll Volunteer Fire Department, Pecan Orchard Park, and sporting events.


Doctor's Office Under Construction

Doctor's Office Under Construction

Workers pause during construction of a doctor's office in Diboll behind the old Rutland house.  Joe Young is walking down the street.

Construction of Village Shopping Center, ca. 1950

Construction of Village Shopping Center, ca. 1950

Construction of The Village Shopping Center, ca. 1950.  The first business opened in the new retail center was a chiropractor's office.

Diboll Flower Shop

Diboll Flower Shop

Diboll Flower and Gift Shop, early 1950's.

Jewelry and Shoe Shop, early 1950's

Jewelry and Shoe Shop, early 1950's

J.W. Helm Jeweler and Diboll Shoe Shop, early 1950's.  The Antler's Hotel can be seen in the background.

Tatum and Sons Store

Tatum and Sons Store

Tatum & Sons store in the Village Shopping Center. The store opened in Septmber 1950, according to the November 30, 1950 Buzz Saw

Interior of Tatum and Sons Store During Christmas

Interior of Tatum and Sons Store During Christmas

An inside look at Tatum & Sons store during the Christmas season.  The store opened in September 1950.

First Diboll Day Queen and Court, 1953

First Diboll Day Queen and Court, 1953

The first Diboll Day Queen and Court stands in front of The Village Shopping Center sign in 1953. Queen and candidates are, from left, Frances Wells, Mary Virginia Smith, Annette Courtney, Martha Honea, and Ethel Sullivan. Annette Courtney's team would raise the most money, earning her the right to be crowne the first Diboll Day Queen.  Joe C. Denman Jr. was the first Booster Club president.

Diboll Drugs at The Village Shopping Center

Diboll Drugs at The Village Shopping Center

Diboll Drugs, a division of Walgreens, anchored one end of The Village Shopping Center in Diboll, shown here in the early 1950's.

Lee Estes's Sinclair Service Station

Lee Estes's Sinclair Service Station

Lee Estes's Sinclair Service Center in Diboll, Early 1950's.

Sinclair Service Station

Sinclair Service Station

Diboll's Sinclair Service Station, originally owned by Lee Estes, Bennie Rector eventually bought it.  Jack Vaught ran the garage at the end.

Sinclair Service Station Grand Opening

Sinclair Service Station Grand Opening

The Grand Opening celebration at Lee Estes's Sinclair Service Station in Diboll, early 1950's.

Diboll Motor Company

Diboll Motor Company

Diboll Motor Company, ca. late 1940's.

Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›