Research

We are in the process of digitizing many of our collections and have decided to make some of them available to view and download online. Please check back often as we add to the online collection of digital resources.

Collections » Angelina County School Records

Angelina County School Photographs, 1930's

These photographs, mostly taken during the 1930's, show the buildings and grounds of many of Angelina County's schools that would soon be consolidated. They are from our Angelina County School Superintendent's Records, 2004:022. A file containing maps that show school district boundaries in 1924 and 2010 is provided here to help users locate schools and areas of interest.


Angelina County School District Maps, 1924 and 2010

Baird (Bald Hill) School Number 16

Baird (Bald Hill) School Number 16

Founded shortly before 1900, Baird was classified as a two year high school by 1919 and as a three year high school by 1930. By 1961, it was only an elementary school and was one of the last remaining common school districts in the county.

Beulah School Number 38

Beulah School Number 38

The first school at Beulah began about 1903 and was taught in a church building until 1917, when the state approved money to build a school house in every community with at least 21 children. Beulah was classified as a one year high school in 1919 and as a two year high school by 1930. While class was in session in 1954, a tornado destroyed the building pictured here. The community built a new building, but Beulah School District consolidated with Diboll in 1962.

Biloxi School Number 23

Biloxi School Number 23

Biloxi School was located three miles east of Lufkin in the small community of Biloxi. It consisted of one three-room schoolhouse and was classified as a one year high school in 1919 and as a two year high school by 1930.  Lufkin Independent School District annexed this school in 1951 and elementary students were bused to Herty School.

Boles School Number 36

Boles School Number 36

Located three miles south of Lufkin, Otto Brittain was a teacher here about 1915. The school was classified as a one year high school in 1919 and 1930.  In 1939, Boles School was annexed to the Lufkin Independent School District. In 1951, the school building was moved to the Kurth campus to eliminate the use of U.S. Army barracks from Camp Swift, Bastrop.

Burke School (Independent)

Burke School (Independent)

The Burke community was established in 1882 with the coming of the Houston East & West Texas railroad, and the school began shortly after, although it was known as Bradley Prairie in the 1885 school records. There is evidence to suggest that Burke became an independent district sometime between 1905 and 1910, but there are no records to confirm an exact date. In 1910, a bond was approved to erect a brick schoolhouse for grades 1 through 7. Burke was classified as a one year high school in 1917, a three year high school in 1919, and a two year high school in 1930. This two-story brick building was torn down in 1935 and replaced with a larger schoolhouse built with Works Progress Administration funds. Burke ISD consolidated with Diboll ISD in 1964.

Center School Number 20

Center School Number 20

One of the county’s older school districts, Center was included in the 1885 School Registry and was located between Huntington and Rocky Hill. It was also known as Rocky Springs. Classified as a one year high school from at least the 1910’s through 1942, Center was listed as having no students in 1944, according to county school board minutes.

Central School Number 3

Central School Number 3

Central Common School District was formed in January 1930 when four schools, Clawson, Durant, Allentown (Old Union) and Pollok consolidated into a new district.  That year the school was classified as a four year high school.   Part of the Simpson district and the Red Town district joined Central in the 1930’s (the remainder of Simpson joined the Wells district in Cherokee County).  The school started with one building that had a combination auditorium and basketball court that was also used for a lunch room. In 1939 with the help of federal aid, a second building was constructed. Central became an independent district in 1954.

Central Ward School (Lufkin I.S.D.)

Central Ward School (Lufkin I.S.D.)

After the creation of Lufkin Independent School District in 1905, a school building was built on First Street and Paul. It had two stories and ten rooms but no restrooms, although they were added later.  It was called Central School and housed grades one through ten. In the fall of 1913, after a new high school opened, this elementary school became known as Central Ward Elementary for grades one through seven and served students living east of the Southern Pacific tracks and north of Lufkin Avenue. Children on the west side of town went to school in the basement of the new high school and two rooms on the first floor; this school was called West Side Grammar School. Central Ward School was located at the present site of the Pitser Garrison Civic Center.

Concord School Number 1

Concord School Number 1

The Concord community held school in a church building until they built this structure in 1929. About 1945 this building burned and a new one was built that served grades one through seven; Concord’s older students attended Zavalla. In 1959, Concord School consolidated with Zavalla.

Cordaway Springs School Number 30, 1909

Cordaway Springs School Number 30, 1909

Another early school from the School Registry of 1885, Red Town, also known as Cordaway Springs, was located about five miles south of Pollok. It was classified as a one year high school in 1919, but was only an elementary school (through the seventh grade) in 1930. The school consolidated with Central School District in the fall of 1939.

Cordaway Springs School Number 30

Cordaway Springs School Number 30

Another early school from the School Registry of 1885, Red Town, also known as Cordaway Springs, was located about five miles south of Pollok. It was classified as a one year high school in 1919, but was only an elementary school (through the seventh grade) in 1930. The school consolidated with Central School District in the fall of 1939.

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›