American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company Operations in East Texas, 1903 & 1907 (250)
American Lumberman was a weekly trade journal created on January 1, 1899 from the merger of Northwestern Lumberman, established in 1873, and The Timberman, established in 1886. The magazine featured the Southern Pine Lumber Company of Diboll, Texas (founded in 1893), in three issues: November 16, 1901; April 16, 1904; and January 18, 1908. This online collection contains digital images of 254 gelatin silver prints made by American Lumberman photographers primarily during visits to Diboll in 1903 and 1907, documenting the lumber company’s management, logging operations, lumber camps, sawmills, commissary, and social life.
Official records of the Angelina County Chamber of Commerce from 1928 through 1969.
This category contains records created by, managed by, or related to Angelina County Lumber Company, which formed in 1890 and was purchased by Owens-Illinois, Inc. in 1966.
This category contains the records of the Angelina County Medical Society.
Burke Center (244)
Minutes of the Deep East Texas Regional Mental Health Mental Retardation Services Board of Directors
This category covers resources related to the Lufkin District of the Civilian Conservation Corps. In 1933, this New Deal program brought young men into camps across the United States to work in jobs mostly related to forest-type projects. These young men earned $30 a month, in addition to room and board, and sent $25 of that home to their struggling families. Between 1933 and 1942, nearly 3 million young American men planted trees, built fire towers and roads, and constructed parks. Their finished projects are still enjoyed by Americans today.
A PDF version of THE CORNBREAD WHISTLE: ORAL HISTORY OF A TEXAS TIMBER COMPANY TOWN, by Megan Biesele with the Diboll Historical Society, published by the Diboll Historical Society, Diboll, Texas, in 1986.
The J. Shirley Daniel Photograph Collection consists of 4x5 vintage prints, contact prints, and original negatives depicting Diboll’s and Pineland’s manufacturing industries, employees, community, and social life. J. Shirley Daniel was Southern Pine Lumber Company’s official photographer, owner and operator of the Timberland Theater and “Tonk,” and an independent pulpwood contractor. Mr. Daniel had the longest tenure of company photographers and is responsible for the majority of the images in this collection, although other photographers took some of the earliest photos. Mr. Daniel collected and preserved this invaluable record of Diboll's past and his family donated it to the archives in 1994.
Family History Collections (1164)
This record group documents the determination of the timber volume, quality, and value for timber tracts owned and/or managed by Houston Oil Company of Texas during the 1910's. Many of the pages in the group include hand drawn maps, which document forest type as well as density and regeneration. A finding guide to the entire collection can be found in the FINDING GUIDES section of this website. Individual pages are scanned and presented below, by County name. Please note that some sheets contain a front and back side. The back side is included in the PDF when information concerning a record of timber harvesting was observed.
Lufkin Industries (1004)
The Lufkin Industries category contains records created by and related to Lufkin Industries, Inc. Founded as Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company in 1902 to fulfill the needs of the local sawmill and railroad companies, the company steadily grew to become more than a foundry specializing in sawmill machinery and locomotive repairs. By the 1920’s, it had entered the oilfield equipment market and in the 1930’s, the remnants of Martin Wagon Company joined the company, eventually becoming the trailer division. In 1970, Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company changed its name to Lufkin Industries, Inc., to better reflect its wide-ranging and world-wide product lines that included trailers, industrial gears, oilfield equipment, and pumping units. In 2013, Lufkin Industries was acquired by General Electric.
The Lufkin Negro Chamber of Commerce was organized in April 1940 to advance education, encourage better community relations, and improve standards of living within Lufkin's black community.
Memorial Hospital (20)
This category contains selected files from collections that contain information about the founding of Memorial Hospital in Lufkin, Texas. In 1949, fourteen local industries combined their resources to build a community hospital for the benefit of their employees and the community. At this time, files will be divided by company name.
The Railroad Records category consists of records relating to various railroads operating in East Texas.
School Collections (133)
School Publications (123)
Small Collections (130)
The Southern Pine Lumber Company / Temple Industries category contains records created by, managed by, or related to Southern Pine Lumber Company or Temple Industries of Diboll, Texas. Southern Pine Lumber Company was founded by T. L. L. Temple in 1893 and is the predecessor of Temple-Inland. Southern Pine Lumber Company consolidated operations with Temple Lumber Company in 1956, and changed its name to Temple Industries in late 1963. In 1973, Time, Inc. purchased Temple Industries and merged it with Eastex Pulp and Paper Company to form Temple-Eastex. In 1983, Time spun off Temple-Eastex with Inland Container Corporation to form Temple-Inland.
In 2012, The History Center acquired a large collection of photographs from Temple Inland mainly covering the decades of the 1950's and 1960's. They are wide-ranging in subject and place, including Diboll and Pineland, various manufacturing facilities, companies, community landmarks, people, products, and neighboring towns. Staff has chosen the best photographs from the collection, which have been roughly divided into categories for ease of use. To view the physical photographs, in-person researchers should ask to see collection 2012:002. Similar photographs from the same time period, with overlapping subjects, are available in the J. Shirley Daniel online collection. *Digitization is in process*
Temple-Inland, Inc. (169)
The Temple-Inland, Inc. category contains records created by, managed by, or related to Temple-Inland and its subsidiaries. Temple-Inland began operations on January 1, 1984 as a result of Time, Inc.’s spin-off of its forest products division in late 1983. The new company included the former Temple Industries, Eastex Pulp & Paper Company, Temple-Eastex, Inland Container Corporation, several financial services companies, and various subsidiaries. Temple Inland liquidated its strategic forest lands in late 2007 and was acquired by International Paper in early 2012. International Paper integrated the paper side of Temple Inland but sold the building products division to Georgia Pacific in summer 2013.
The Temple Lumber Company category contains records created by, managed by, or related to the Temple Lumber Company of Pineland, Texas. The company was originally Garrison-Norton Lumber Company until T. L. L. Temple purchased controlling interests in 1910 and changed the name to Temple Lumber Company. It operated independently until 1956 when all Temple lumber manufacturing operations were consolidated into the Southern Pine Lumber Company name.
The Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company (TSE) category contains records created by, managed by, or related to the TSE. The railroad was founded in 1900 by T. L. L. Temple to serve Southern Pine Lumber Company logging operations. It provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942, and it ran its last freight cars over its line in 1996. Today it serves Union Pacific as a switching and storage station.
The Time, Inc./Temple-Eastex Category contains records created by, managed by, or related to Time, Inc., particularly its Temple-Eastex forest products group. In 1973, Time, Inc. acquired Temple-Industries and merged it with its Eastex Pulp and Paper subsidiary and formed a new subsidiary called Temple Eastex, with Arthur Temple, Jr. as President and R.M. Buckley as Chairman of the Board. In 1978, under the leadership of then Vice-Chair Arthur Temple, Jr., Time, Inc. acquired Inland Container Corporation. Time, Inc. spun off its forest products group in 1983, which began operating on January 1, 1984 as Temple-Inland, Inc.
This collection documents the political career of Charles “Charlie” Nesbitt Wilson (1933-2010). Known as Charlie to his friends and constituents, Wilson served in the United States Navy from 1956 to 1960 and in 1961 he was elected as a Texas State Representative. From 1966 to 1972 Wilson served in the Texas Senate, and then the U.S. House of Representatives from the Second Congressional District, from 1972 to 1996. The photographs in this collection range from his early days as a Texas State Senator and his meeting with his constituents in East Texas to his high profile visits to the Middle East when he was a United States Congressman. Also included are photographs of Wilson with Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and other dignitaries. At a local level “Charlie” is best remembered for his establishment of the Big Thicket Preserve, and his close attention to issues with Social Security and Veterans Administration benefits. On a national level he is remembered for securing funding and arms for the Afghan Mujahideen freedom fighters in their fight against the Soviet Union during the 1980s.